100 Multiple Choice Questions
Minimum Passing Score: 80%
The Level 1 certification exam is intended to measure certain basic knowledge specific to light duty towing and recoveries, examples include:
– Routine customer pick up, delivery and light recovery
– Hook-ups for cars and light trucks up to 10,000 GVWR
– The difference between front wheel and rear wheel drive vehicles and appropriate procedures for each
– Installation of dollies and required dolly towing procedures
We recognize that many Level 1 towers will possess more knowledge than what is mentioned above and may possess light duty recovery skills as well. Certification tests, but does not address or attempt to evaluate the certified driver’s actual job performance.
– The test applicant must have been employed as a tow truck operator for at least ninety (90) days within the past five (5) years prior to the registration date. Such experience must be verified.
– Meet all applicable federal, state, and local requirements for towing and recovery professionals
– The majority of our tests are delivered online. Online testing allows participants to test from virtually any location with secure internet access, a web-cam, a microphone, and privacy. Not sure if your computer will meet the requirements? Click here to verify your settings and equipment now. In addition to being convenient, computer testing is also the fastest testing method with results available within 48 hours of the testing event.
– Traditional paper & pencil testing is also available in a limited number of locations across the country. The turn-around time to get your results back is significantly longer at 4-6 weeks after the testing date. We currently offer traditional paper/pencil testing at the following locations:
Online Test Delivery
Paper/Pencil Test Delivery
– Once submitted, the registration is non-transferable and all associated costs/fees are non-refundable.
– In accordance with FERPA guidelines, all communication between the NDCP Office and the registrant will be directed to the individual’s personal contact information. Unless the Employer Communication check-box is ticked, the registrant retains all responsibility for communicating his/her certification status and other pertinent details to his/her employer (if applicable).
– As with all testing events, validating and confirming the security at testing location is subject to the discretion of the proctor.
– By participating in the program, registered participants authorize us to include their name, level achieved, ID number, city/state/zip, and expiration information in our online certification directory and any related publications/documentation at our discretion.
– After successfully passing the certification test you will receive 2 patches, 1 ID card and a Nationally Certified Tow Operator® wall certificate. Additional patches and truck decals are available for purchase on our Products page.
– Please note, all NDCP certifications expire every five (5) years. Failure to recertify within 90 days of your expiration date will result in the cancellation of your status (highest certification level completed only). In this event, you will need to complete the initial certification process over again.
– In the unfortunate event that you fail and need to retest, another test application and retest fee will be required.
Additional questions? Contact Elizabeth Martineau, Director of Certification at email@example.com
* All prices and policies are subject to change without notice. Effective February 1, 2014.